Monday, November 26, 2012

vs Kilimanjaro: Fitness Plan

Despite the fact i'm already partial to a bit of running, I know this mountain is going to be a lot easier if I have  a higher fitness level, and look something like this :



Well that or just do a bit of training first haha.

Now my main problem is that I'll be working then travelling in Kenya for 6/7 weeks before. So i'll need to keep my fitness level up while on the move. However. I do have time now on my hands. As I have until April 30th, which is around 22 weeks.... I also have a half marathon 2 days before so i'll be doing plenty of running for that anyway.

So I researched lots and there was mixed opinions. BUT noone said I needed to be ridiculous with the training regime, though at least being a bit active was recommended by everyone. Despite this i've decided to ignore the people that're like "mehhhh, it's not sooo important" I think they just want money, and are probably sat in a dingy office, in the basement of a Tanzanian building smoking a joint, eating a supersize biggmac and drinking cheap lager in front of a Windows 95 pc. Just saying.

I did however find these 2 training programs:

8 week gym program to be used with 8 week walking program

12 week training program

As I have 22 weeks. Including Christmas in the middle. I'm thinking. I'll loosely follow the 8 week gym program and do my running still instead of the walking.... Though WALKING IS IMPORTANT. As I'll be walking up the mountain - I just want to get the running in while I can.

After Chrimbo though I will begin the 12 week program. It means I will finish early BUT that just means prepared earlier right?!

And in my opinion the 12 week program is a much better program for over all fitness. And incorporates specific hill training into it.

Anyway, i'll keep updating on here run times, amounts of exercises etc. So we can see how (or if..) these are helping fitness.



No comments:

Post a Comment